Unfortunately, accidents happen. It is simply a part of life. Here are a few steps to follow after you’ve been in a car accident to make sure you are protected:
Steps to Follow If You Have Been in a Car Accident
- STOP. Always stop and then check if everyone is okay. If you are indeed involved in an accident, stopping is your Legal obligation. Regardless of whether or not you think there is no damage, you must stop the car and pull over. After pulling over, keep your hazards on to maintain the scene.
- Call the police, even if there are no serious injuries. You may need a police report to file a claim with your insurance.
- NEVER admit responsibility for the accident. Your duty is to collect the facts and not involve yourself in any further discussion. Insurance carriers are trained to look for ways to deny responsibility. Your car insurance policy is essentially a contract stating you must not accept responsibility or liability in these situations. If you anticipate your insurance company to take care of your claim, let them do all the talking! Stick to the facts to protect yourself and make sure you get paid in a claim.
- Seek treatment immediately or upon presentation of worsening conditions.
- Compose an accurate record of exactly what happened and if you’re not sure of all the facts do not guess or make something up. Simply say you’re not sure.
- Take pictures of the visible damage or injuries without interfering with police investigation.
- Exchange information- name, address, and number of all the people involved in the accident. Ask to see their insurance cards to collect the insurance company name and insurance company policy number.
- Collect information from any bystanders who happen to have witnessed the accident. They may have a different perspective on the accident and can offer you some insight on what happened from their point of view.
- Report the accident to your insurance. Do not offer much more info about the wreck, insurance companies seek every bit of info to use against you.
9½. Call Haug Law Group! We care for our clients, not just professionally, but personally, and are committed to providing the best legal representation you can have. If you are looking to have your matter handled efficiently and effectively and to establish a long-term relationship of trust and counsel, then you can count on us!